Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ireland - Sunday July 26

We arrived in the town of Ennis on Saturday, and will be leaving on Monday for the trip back to Dublin. (That's for my bro, Scott!)

Today we visited the Cliffs of Moher - spectacular of course. My how it's changed since I was here 20 years ago. It was just a gang of girls piling out of a car and walking up to the edge. Not any more. There is a whole visitor center and all sorts of steps and railings, which although likely necessary, takes away from the awesome feeling that you've just discovered where the edge of the world really is.

All the railings do help with the agrophobia, I will admit. I've been having anxiety over this day for a while. Mike likes to tease me with that, getting close to the edges of things and even pretending to fall, when he's really jumping to a lower ledge that you can't see from your vantage point. Being anxious about it was reasonable, under the cirucumstances!

All was well until 3 members of team Baxendell decided to go beyond the designated area. Eventually I joined them, figuring this was my Travel-Dare Pit Stop Challenge! Thankfully I wasn't there for Mike scootching up to the edge on his belly and hanging the camera over the edge for a couple of shots. But they weren't expecting to see me over the barrier at all, and so I got a little video of them as they walked back from the edge. Travel Dare completed, as far as I'm concerned!

Yup, that's really THE edge... 725 feet above the crashing waves...

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Team Baxendell looks like they are having a MARVELOUS time.... love reading about it and the pics are GORGEOUS!!! Can't wait to read about the next adventure.... and Emma... great job kissing the Blarney stone!!!
    love, Marybeth and family <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having a wonderful trip. Your descriptions are great to read. Tell Emma as a fellow germafobe (spelling??) I too would have struggled with the kissing! Thank heavens for hand sanitizer...never leave home without that and my Altoids. I am learning and often chuckling to myself as I read about your escapades. Looking forward to your next entry. ~Theresa A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your continuing support everyone! I'm just glad I actually did kiss it, or Austin would have never let me hear the end of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting with us! Hope you enjoy the trip too!